Sustainability at Original Saw Company
Sustainability means meeting our needs without compromising future generations’ ability to meet their needs.
At Original Saw Company, we believe sustainability is important to manufacturing. For that reason, we make an effort to respect and take care of the environment. Specifically, we look for opportunities to reduce, reuse and recycle at our manufacturing facility.
Iowa Waste Reduction Visit
Iowa Waste Reduction Center made a site visit to review our waste management plans and procedures. In addition, they offered recommendations to enhance our current efforts. During the visit, Original Saw Company was praised for its efforts to conserve resources and reduce waste.
Like most businesses in manufacturing, we create a large amount of trash. Whenever possible, employees sort and recycle items to reduce the amount of waste made by the facility. Employees separate trash from recyclable materials in marked bins throughout the building.
We keep Safety Data Sheets for hazardous materials in the employee information center outside the break room door. Additionally, employees receive ongoing training on sustainability efforts.
Ongoing Recycling Efforts
- We send printer cartridges to Staples for recycling.
- Waste Management pics up plastic waste, glass, and cardboard.
- Original Saw uses wooden pallets to send and receive shipments. Skids or pallets are reused by Original Saw Company or sent to area businesses for reuse. However, at times skids are not reusable. In that case, the skids go to the North Iowa Landfill. The landfill uses its grinder and recycles the skids into mulch.
- The North Iowa Landfill recycles used batteries.
- Waste Management picks up fluorescent light bulbs. Presently all lights use LED bulbs.
- Waste Management recycles extra paper. We store data digitally to reduce the amount of paper that we use.
- Cedar Poly recycles extra high-density polyethylene plastic.
- Reclaimed wood was used for paneling the walls during the recent renovation of our offices.