REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE
Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22. Events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. At Original Saw Company, we respect and take care of the environment. We look for times when we can reduce, reuse and recycle at our manufacturing facility.
Iowa Waste Reduction Visit
Iowa Waste Reduction Center recently visited to review our waste management policies and procedures. They also offered recommendations to enhance our existing efforts. During the visit, Original Saw Company was praised for its efforts to conserve resources and reduce waste.
Like most businesses, we create a large amount of trash. Whenever possible, employees sort and recycle items to reduce the amount of trash made by the facility.
We use Safety Data Sheets for hazardous materials that are used at our facility. These sheets are kept in the employee information center outside the break room door. The employees receive ongoing training in this area.
Ongoing Recycling Efforts
- Printer cartridges – Sent back to Staples for recycling
- Plastic waste, glass and cardboard – Picked up by Waste Management
- Wooden skids or pallets – Pallets are reused by Original Saw Company or sent to area businesses for reuse. If they are not reusable, the skids are sent to the North Iowa Landfill. The landfill uses their grinder and recycles the skids into mulch.
- Batteries – Sent to North Iowa Landfill
- Light bulbs – Fluorescent light bulbs were picked up by Waste Management. Now all lighting is done with LED bulbs.
- Paper – Extra paper is recycled by Waste Management. We store data digitally to decrease the amount of paper that we use.
- High density polyethylene plastic – Sent to Cedar Poly for recycling
The use of recycling allows Original Saw Company to minimize the amount of waste we produce. Let’s all do our part!