Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, on which events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. At Original Saw Company, we make a conscious commitment to respect and take care of the environment.
We recently had a visit by the Iowa Waste Reduction Center to review our waste management and environmental compliance status, as well as offer recommendations to enhance our existing compliance efforts. During the audit, Original Saw Company was commended for its conservative operational and management practices that conserve resources and reduce waste generation.
Like most businesses we create a fair amount of trash. In all possible instances, employees are trained to sort and recycle all appropriate items to reduce the amount of trash we create.
SDS sheets for hazardous materials used or consumed at our facility are kept in the employee information center outside the breakroom door at our manufacturing facility and our employees receive ongoing training in this area. We currently have continuing recycling efforts regarding the following categories:
- Printer cartridges – Sent back to Staples for recycling
- Miscellaneous plastic waste, glass and cardboard – Picked up by Waste Management
- Wooden skids or pallets – Pallets are reused by Original Saw Company, sent to area business for reuse or, if not reusable, sent to North Iowa Landfill to their grinder and recycled into mulch.
- Batteries – Sent to North Iowa Landfill
- Light bulbs – In the past, fluorescent light bulbs were picked up by Waste Management. In our recent “green efforts”, all lighting is done with LED bulbs.
- Paper – Excess paper is recycled by Waste Management. We also make our best efforts to store data digitally to decrease the amount of paper that is consumed. We are also currently transitioning from printing manuals to send with our machines to using QR codes instead.
- HDPE plastic – Sent to Cedar Poly for recycling
The use of recycling, along with our consistent review of recycling procedures, allows Original Saw Company to minimize the amount of waste we produce. Let’s all do our part!